My favorite recipes, tips and advice for a successful Christmas
A CLASSIC FRENCH Christmas :
Christmas is symbol of tradition: we are left with the family around the Christmas tree to enjoy a good meal together. Turkey, gingerbread, foie gras, salmon ...
The foie gras
Prepare a Christmas meal requires good organization and a minimum of time. For fatty liver, for example, you can do it yourself but it will let stand for 2 to 3 days in the fridge so that it takes properly. Terrine or cloth, is consumed fresh for 2-3 weeks in a sterilized jar, it can be stored for years.
Turkeys, guinea fowl and other capons are rather simple to prepare, but the cooking time the oven varies according to the size and weight of the meat, between 25 and 30 minutes per kilogram to 180 ° C. Be careful not to exceed 200 ° C because the fat burn at this temperature. In contrast to beef, cooking is done in a very hot oven (240 ° C) on both sides. Pork, meanwhile, must be absolutely well cooked. To avoid dry it, put it to simmer for 90 minutes in a pot with a broth or cooking oil. Finally, a doe-pound of meat and deer can be cooked in 15 minutes at 210 ° C.
Discover the tricks to cooking the turkey in the oven
The seafood is extremely delicate, so you keep them in optimal conditions. Oysters, for example, must remain in their basket when they have not yet been opened, cool between 5 and 15 ° C, but especially not in the coldest part of the refrigerator where they might die. In any case do not keep more than a week. For shellfish, it is advisable to put a weight on the shells to keep them sealed. Lobster, scampi and shrimp will keep up to 24 hours in the refrigerator, just covered with a damp cloth.
You can serve with a natural grain bread, butter, lemon or vinegar available or integrate more sophisticated preparations.
La buche de noel
Chestnut, chocolate and exotic fruits ... For the dessert of Christmas is the festival of flavors! The traditional log is very easy. From a basic sponge cake that is rolled, you can accommodate as you like. Once prepared, do not exceed 4-5 days of storage in the fridge, wrapped in cling film. The Christmas shortbread and gingerbread keep very well in a tin box.
To chose the meat you like : here are the differences :
Hens, turkeys, geese, capons and guinea fowl are the essential of these periods of year end, as high exclusively for Christmas. Consensual treat, sharing symbol tradition or starting point for more original recipes, festive poultry are the guarantee of a fully managed Eve.
Capon is a castrated young cock, raised with great care. It is fed with a specific food, consisting of cereals and sometimes supplemented dairy products. His breeding starts from the beginning of the summer for a period of 5 months minimum. Upon the arrival of his feathers, he finds himself in the open air for the day in large grassy areas.
- Preparation: oven to gas mark 6 (180 ° C) at 20 min per 500 g or cut into mixture in a thin sauce (cook about 1 hour).
- Suitable for 6-8 guests.
- Average weight ready-to-cook: 2.5 to 3.5 kg.
Turkey is THE traditional festive poultry excellence. Its dense flesh and taste some typical fit all, and generous size is perfect for large family GameCafé.
- Suitable for 8-10 guests
- Average weight ready to cook 3 to 3.5 kg.
The guinea fowl. Its flesh is creamy and veined with a delicate game flavor. A noble and unusual poultry.
- Suitable for 6 guests.
- Average weight ready to cook 2.2 to 2.8 kg.
The goose has a very soft flesh, brown and nicely typed. Its flavor is full of character and generous size.
- Preparation: oven to gas mark 6 (180 ° C) at 20 min per 500 g, so stuffed after an additional 15 min.
- Suitable for 8 guests.
- Average weight ready to cook 3 to 4 kg.
Pullet is a young hen who has never laid and which is specifically for high-end holiday season. Not to be confused with the chicken.
- Preparation: oven to gas mark 6 (180 ° C) at 20 min per 500 g and stuffed after additional 15 min.
- Suitable for 4-6 guests.
- Average weight ready-to-cook 1.8 kg.
The rules of good cooking
• Leave the bird at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before baking.
• For better cooking, first put it on one side because it is the legs that put the most time to cook.
• Water regularly with excess fat to get a crispy skin. If necessary, add ½ cup of water to two-thirds of cooking.
• After cooking, cover the bird with foil and let stand 10 minutes off the oven door open to relax the flesh.
For a special stuffing :
Everything Traditionally the stuffing is mixed with chopped and seasoned ingredients that are used to line the inside of a food product: poultry, fish, vegetables and fruit ... But for certain parts (eg quail), some dried fruit or fresh suffice.
In the case of poultry, the main asset pranks is to guarantee a more fragrant and especially less dry flesh. A recurring problem of poorly cooked poultry Christmas. With these white meat, it is tasteful play of sweet and sour notes, slightly spicy scented or champagne, cognac and other spirits typed that, it must be admitted, do not do this for revealing all perfumes the center piece of the wake. Stuffed turkey is also a dish that is also found in the Christmas menu of our Belgian neighbors, and of course American English.
"For large birds I like to do a rustic stuffing, creamy and this brings a powerful note and gives the juice a taste. Be sure to securely close the opening so that it does not escape during cooking, it retains moisture well and prevents drying of flesh. My recipe: 1/3 pork loin, 1/3 of bread soaked in milk, liver, heart and finely chopped parsley, shallots, 1 head of garlic, salt and pepper and in the amounts , 1 or 2 eggs to bind all. What is also superb and delicious, it is to stuff poultry under the skin with a fine stuffing (chicken breasts + cream + + parsley finely chopped blanched chopped truffle, salt and pepper). To take off the skin, it is enough to incise the chest and back around the beast, passing his hand. "
Another way to do it : "you could also cook the stuffing separately, 45 minutes in a cake pan! This allows me to prepare it the day before and have a recipe full of flavor, cooked just right, I can cut into fine slices presentable (which is not the case when it is necessary to leave the poultry). To flavor meat during cooking, I just slip into the beast a little rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. An exception for the goose I like stuff with apples, lemon juice and quince jelly. If my bird took a hit of hot and looks dry, I whitewashes the 3 tablespoons of melted butter and I cling film wrap. »g for a beautiful Christmas dinner
Roasted quail stuffed with clementines, cranberries and dry raisins
Preparation: 45 min
Cuisson: 2 h 45 min
serve: 4 people
- quail - 4
100g dry grapes
100g s- dry cranberries –
2 tbsp. tablespoon honey-60g butter- 2 tbsp. tablespoons grape seed oil - 1 tbsp. tablespoon of spice mix for gingerbread - 1 tsp. tablespoons red-wine vinegar Salt and pepper the Moulin
4 food gold leaf
1. Peel and cut the shallots in half. Make them confit in a pan with 20g butter, 1 tsp. tablespoons of honey and vinegar. Add salt and pepper, cover with water and simmer about 30 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Increase heat to caramelize slightly. Book.
2. Preheat oven to 180 ° C (gas mark 6). Mix half the raisins and cranberries with clementine peeled and cut into small cubes. Salt and pepper inside quail, stuff them with the mixture. Tie up them and make them brown in a pan with 20g of butter and oil, about 8 minutes. Remove the quail in a dish and bake 15 minutes at mid-height.
3. Peel the other clementines. Make them caramelize 2 minutes over medium heat in a nonstick pan with 20g butter, 1 tsp. tablespoons of honey and spice mixture.
4. Add the remaining cranberries and raisins and cook about 1 minute. Post a quail in the center of each plate, decorate it with gold leaf. Add clementines, dried fruit and candied shallots. Serve immediately
Roast duck with apples, chocolate sauce
Preparation: 30 min Cuisson: 1 h 15 min
Serve : 6 people
- 4 duck breasts. - 3 apples- 20 cl veal stock. - 2 tbsp. tablespoons cranberry natural. - 1 schalots .- 10 cl port rouge.- one square of dark chocolate. - 15 g butter.- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 120 ° C (th. 4). Peel, seed and cut the apples into slices. Degrease the duck slightly( then knife the skin twice ) put the 2 duck breasts skin side down on the work surface. Cover them with apple slices and cranberries. Salt and pepper.
2. Form 2 roasted by superimposing the remaining 2 breasts and tie them. Place them in a baking dish on the rest of sliced apples. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes.
3. Sauté the shallot, peeled and minced in a pan with butter. Add the port wine and let reduce 5 min. Add the veal stock and boil 3 minutes. filter
4. Stir in the chocolate. Add salt and pepper and keep warm. Serve the sliced duck breast, topped with chocolate sauce and accompanied by polenta cakes.
Guinea Fowl, bread stuffing spices and pears
Preparation: 45 min
Cuisson: 2 h 45 min
Serve : 6 people
- 1 guinea fowl 2.5 kg. - 100g chicken livers. - 1 onion. - 8 pears.- 1 orange untreated. - 100 g raisins. - 3 slices of gingerbread. - 80 g of sugar. - 1 cinnamon stick. - 1 bottle of red wine. - 40 g butter. - Salt and pepper
1. The day before, bring the wine to a boil. Peel the pears, keeping them whole and put them in the wine with orange zest, cinnamon and sugar. Poach the pears to a simmer 25 min. Book
2. Make stiffen the chicken livers in a pan with 15g of butter. Salt, pepper and expand them into cubes. Mix them with the crumbled gingerbread, 2 diced pears, raisins and orange juice.
3. Stuff the guinea fowl with the previous preparation and close the opening with kitchen string. Book 12 hours in the refrigerator and pears in their filtered juice.
4. Preheat the oven overnight at 180 ° C (th. 6). Butter a baking dish, spread the peeled and chopped onion and place over the fowl, salt and pepper.
5. Bake chicken 2 hours 15 by inverting and by regularly watering pear wine. Let stand 15 minutes in the oven off.
6. Degrease the cooking juices, pour a ladle of pear wine and boil a few minutes, scraping the cooking juices. Strain the juice.
7. Serve the guinea fowl surrounded pears, accompanied by sautéed mushrooms and the sauce
• Preparation: 35mn
Cooking : 1 hour
• Serves: 6 people
• - 1 raw foie gras lobe (450 to 500g)
• - 5 ml salt
• - pepper
• - 1 ml of 4 spice mixture
• - 50 ml of port or sauternes
Deveined the liver lobe.
Place it in a bowl and spread over the salt, pepper and mix 4 spices.
Sprinkle with the Port or Sauternes and leaves if possible marinade for 1 hour.
Place the foie gras in the Junior Silicone cake mold
-Cuisson The oven: Preheat the oven 3/4 th or 100 ° C. Bake in a water bath 1 hour, 3/4 th or 100 ° C. Remove the pan from the water bath immediately after cooking.
Cool and refrigerate for 48 hours minimum.
Serve with a rocket salad or lamb's lettuce and toast, or with a mango chutney.
"LA BUCHE ": Christmas french cake Chocolate and red fruits infusion
Type of dish: Dessert Preparation: 55 min Difficulty: DébutantCuisson: 10 min Budget: PetitPour: 8 people
- 60 g of butter- 4 eggs - 50g + 75g caster sugar - 100g flour- 50 g of yeast-nuts- 100g caster sugar - 25 cl of single cream -180 g chocolate 70 % of cacao- 2 tea bags of red fruits- ice-sugar- fruit- fresh mint
the biscuit :
- Melt the butter
-for the Eggs, separated whites from the yolks
-In A bowl, beat the egg whites and tighten by incorporating 50 g of sugar in the end. In a bowl, blanch the yolks with 75g sugar until a ribbon.
-Pour Gradually sifted flour, melted butter and yeast. Then gently add the egg whites.
- lean Of 1 cm thickness the biscuit dough on a baking paper lined baking sheet ,buttered,and bake for 10 minutes
-From The end of cooking, spread the dough on a damp cloth and then roll book.
-Cut The chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
-get The cream to a boil, add two tea bags and let steep for 1 minute. See the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate. Wait a few seconds and stir.
Creamy caramel sauce:
-Make Melt the sugar with 4 tablespoons of water in a saucepan.(watch it !!dont do anything else)
-As Soon as the caramel color, add cream and mix off the heat.
-unroll the Biscuit gently (you can also add a light syrup flavored with berries tea on the biscuit) line of some of the ganache and roll the biscuit. Leave to set for one hour
-When The ganache is almost cold, decorate “la buche” with creamy caramel sauce, powdered sugar and mint
Roasted Capon "New York way"
• Preparation: 1 h 0 min
• Cooking time: 3 h 45 min
• To: 8 people
In gredients :
• - 1 capon Farmer Label Rouge (3.5 kg)
• - 400 g cooked chestnuts
• - 1 apple
• - 1 leek
• - 2 tbsp. tablespoons of raisins
• - 150 g dry cranberries
• - 6 bread slices
• - 3 tbsp. tablespoons melted butter
• - 10 cl cream
• - 1 tsp. tablespoons brown sugar
• - 1 tsp. chopped parsley
• - salt and pepper
For the onion stuffing:
• - 4 red onions
• - 4 onions
• - 1 stalk celery
• - 1 apple
• - 100 g cooked chestnuts
• - 1 tsp. tablespoons dried cranberries
• - 1 tsp. tablespoons of raisins
• - 1 tsp. chopped parsley
1. Make toast the bread slices. Cut into cubes and let them dry for half a day.
2. Preheat oven to 180 ° C (th. 6). Prepare stuffing: cut chestnuts, apple and diced celery. Slice the leek. In a skillet, sauté in 1 tbsp. tablespoons butter, leeks and celery. Place them in a bowl, add the chestnuts, apple, raisins, bread crumbs, melted butter, cream, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff it in the capon.
3. Place the capon in a dish. Salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Bake for about 3 h 45. Water regularly with the juice during cooking.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the toppings and sauce: peel the onions, slice them 3/4, core them and chop the pulp. Cut the chestnuts, apple and celery into small cubes. In a skillet, fry in a little oil pulp onion, chestnut, apple and celery, then add the cranberries and raisins. Add the chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff the onions with this mixture. Place the onions in the dish from the oven around the capon 30 min before the end of cooking.
5. In a pan, put dried cranberries, sugar and 25 ml water. Bring to boil and reduce by half. Serve the capon stuffed with onions, coat with sauce with cranberries and show the rest on the side.
Ballottine pheasant, foie gras stuffing
Preparation: 30 min
Cooking time: 1 h 30 min
Serve 10 people
- 1 boneless pheasant by butcher - 100g mid cuit- foie gras 100g minced veal meat 100g minced pork meat- 3 liters of chicken stock - 2 slices of bread - 1 stalk céleriac- 4 shallots - 1 bunch parsley 4 sprigs plane- Tarragon 1 egg white 20 g butter- 1 carotte- 20 cl white-wine 5 cl Cognac-4 tbsp. wine vinegar - 1 tsp. tablespoons milk-2 tbsp. tablespoons of oil with 2 pinches of four-spices- 2 pinches nutmeg Salt and pepper
1. Crumble the bread the day before and soak it in milk. Peel and finely chop 2 shallots. Sauté 5 minutes with the butter.
2. Mix the minced meat, onions, bread drained, egg white, cognac fresh herbs rinsed and chopped, nutmeg and allspice.
3. Spread the pheasant on the work plan. Add salt and pepper, spread the stuffing and have fatty liver cut into pieces. Roll poultry ballottine, hugging a clean cloth. Tie up it and dip it 30 minutes in simmering chicken broth. Drain and reserve the ballottine 12 hours in the refrigerator. Keep 30 cl broth.
4. Brown the next day the carcass with the remaining shallots, carrot and peeled and chopped celery. Add the wine, vinegar and reserved broth. Bake 45 min, filter and reduce the juice made 10 min.
5. Preheat the oven to 150 ° C (th. 5). Unpack the ballottine, brush the oil and bake 30 min.
6. Serve ballottine sliced with the sauce and accompany with mashed celeriac.
Poached, roasted capon and special christmas stuffing
Preparation: 1 h 30 min
Cuisson 2 h 0 min
Serve : 8 people
- 1 capon farmer Label Rouge - 1 kg of offal of poultry (chicken carcass, fins) - 1 carotte- 1 onion, 1 bunch of herbs ( thyme,rosemary and leaves) 1 shalote- 1 tablespoons caster sugar -. 2 tablespoons of butter 2 tablespoon olive oil. 2 tbsp of concentrate tomatoes- fine salt, pepper
For the stuffing:
- 300 g minced veal - 300g minced pork 100g freshly chicken livers- 300 g of dry bread - 6 eggs- 100 g raisins - 2 garlic cloves 5 shalotts - 1 Granny Smith apple- 2 tbsp. of chopped herbs (parsley, tarragon, chives ...) - 2 tbsp. of butter
1. The day before, make the stuffing. Chop the meat. Preheat oven to 180 ° C (th. 6). Soak the bread in warm milk. Peel and finely chop the shallots and garlic. Peel apples and cut into cubes. In a skillet, heat the butter and melt the chopped garlic and shallots. Add the apple. Allow to color, then book. In a bowl, mix the minced meat, the chopped garlic and shallots, apples, herbs, raisins, soaked bread, whole eggs and livers. Salt and pepper. Knead well. Fill a cake pan buttered with this mix. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour in a water bath. Let cool, cover with plastic wrap, reserve in the fridge.
2. Prepare the chicken stock. Cut the giblets into pieces. Peel the carrot, shallot and onion. Cut into cubes. In a casserole, heat 1 tbsp. tablespoons oil. Add the giblets and brown over high heat, stirring regularly. During cooking, add 1 tsp. tablespoons butter. Book meat. Add the vegetables and sugar. Sweat covered 5 minutes before putting the meat. Add the tomato paste diluted in 1 liter of water and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil and keep boiling for 1 h little short. Strain the juice began to reduce through a chinois or a fine sieve. Season.
3. Add salt and pepper inside and outside the poultry. Wrap it in a towel or plastic wrap. Reserve in the refrigerator.
4. The next day, remove the capon at room temperature 1 to 2 hours before cooking. Place it in a pot and cover it with cold chicken broth or water, then add 1 carrot, 1 leek, 1 onion, 1 stalk celery, peeled and cut into pieces, a few grains of pepper, coarse salt and a bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf). Bring to the boil and hold for small bubbling, 1 hour at 1:15. Drain the capon and keep the broth.
5. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C (th. 6/7). In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter and oil. Place the capon on the pan (or in a large dish). Brush it with melted butter using a pastry brush. Install it on the side. Bake for 1 hour, taking care to turn and baste every 15 min. Needless to detach the legs to extend their cooking separately, the poultry has been poached, broth boiled penetrated the flesh and baked them.
6. Remove the capon from the oven. Wrap it in several layers of aluminum foil and let rest 20 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the fat from the pan. Peel off the juices with 1 ladle of broth poaching. Scrape and pour in the capon stock pot (prepared the day before), boil, let it reduce and filter. Reheat the stuffing.
7. Cut the capon, place the pieces on a hot dish with slices of stuffing in the middle. Serve the chicken juices into a gravy boat.
You can replace the raisins and apple 250g cooked chestnuts or 30 pitted prunes soaked in 1 liter loudly then drained tea. It is also possible forest mushrooms (porcini, porcini, morels ...).
SCALLOPS IN LEEKS WITH A BUTERY SAUCE
Ingredients for 4 people
• 12 Saint-Jacques shells cleaned (SCALLOPS)
• 4 new leeks
• 4 shallots
• 125 g butter
• 1cuil. tablespoons heavy cream
• 1 tsp. tablespoons Melfor (Alsatian condiment)
• Salt and pepper
1 Peel and finely chop the shallots. Cook them gently in a saucepan with the Melfor until well blended. Place the pan in a water bath, add the butter gradually, whisking constantly then the cream until thick and creamy sauce. Add salt and pepper and keep warm.
2 Clean the leeks and cut into thin slices, place them in the basket of a steamer. Arrange the Saint-Jacques on leeks. Cook 5 minutes until translucent.
3 Place in each shell and cleaned a bed of leeks, salt and pepper, add a knob of Saint-Jacques, fitted coat with butter. Serve immediately.
FOIE GRAS CRÈME BRULEE WITH GINGER BREAD AND DRY FRUITS
Ingredients for 4 people
• 200 g Seared duck foie gras
• 6 dried figs fluffy
• 30 g of blond raisins
• 4 egg yolks
• 20 cl cream
• 20 ml milk
• 10cl Muscat Beaumes-de-Venise
• 2 tbsp. brown sugar
• 2 pinches of nutmeg
• 8 slices of gingerbread
• Salt and pepper
1 Cut the figs into small pieces and soak them with raisins 2 h in Muscat.
2 Mix the drained dried fruit and pour the mixture into the bottom of 4 ramekins. Preheat the oven. 6 (180 ° C).
3 Mix the foie gras cut into pieces with egg yolks, milk, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour into ramekins and bake 30 minutes in a dish filled with hot water halfway up. Leave to cool in the oven off and then keep cool 8 am.
4 Sprinkle the brown sugar cream and caramelize them under the broiler or torch. Serve immediately with the toasted gingerbread.